As has been announced on this site, the SQL Anywhere team at Sybase/SAP are in the process of implementing a replacement for this StackExchange based version of SQLA. This project is proceeding quite well, and we hope to make a further announcement of this very soon! We have been working with Breck Carter, the administrator of this site to integrate all data from this site into the new site. We are also considering various approaches to integrated the existing NNTP newsgroup content.
One concern that has come up is to provide users with an easy method to restrict their attention to areas of interest as the Q&A site becomes busier. As a result, I would like to ask the SQLA community what it thinks about a "standard" set of tags for questions.
1. Technology tags: A tag to identify which SQL Anywhere technology the question refers. Most questions that ask about the SQL Anywhere software should use one of these tags.
2. Version tags To identify which version the question refers. This tag may not be necessary in all cases.
3. Platform tags To identify the operating system platform. This tag will not be necessary in all cases.
To identify the bitness in questions where this is important.
4. Newsgroup tags All newsgroup threads will be tagged with this when imported.
Additionally, each thread/question will be tagged with specific newsgroup information.
5. Other miscellaneous “standard” tags
If you are in favor of this proposal, please add a comment, or vote.
This question is marked "community wiki".
I am really glad to hear that the new site is going to get fed with the NNTP contents, too, though I can't imagine how much crowded this will get in contrast to the still rather empty SQLA site. That alone seems to make a sensible tagging system necessary.
The suggested tags are alright IMHO, although I would suggest the following slight changes:
The version tags ("v-9" ...) are useful and better than the so far used ones which include the product names ("asa-9", "sa-10") – the latter seem less useful for those not so familiar with the SQL Anywhere product name history:). – Maybe there ought to be some maintenance-related tags, too ("v-11-0-1"). At least there's some usage for tags like "sa-11.0.1" here.
As Carol has implied, I would suggest that there's some GUI feature to recommend/enforce the use of the standard tags.
Besides that, I would like to suggest further polls on the upcoming NNTP import decisions to be made.
answered 27 Aug '10, 07:58