Hi All, I am trying to include a SQLA 11.01 merge module in our InstallShield Express X (V10) installation program, but keep running into errors. Here is what we did...
I decided to try another approach...create an MSI file instead and specify it as a Custom Action in the InstallShield project. Here are the steps I took...
BOTTOM LINE... What am I doing wrong? I have searched the forum and the Sybase site for answers, but to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
asked 25 Mar '10, 14:33
I couldn't ever get the merge modules to do what I wanted. I ended up reading the SQLA Help file "Deploying client applications", then manually entered the needed files and registry entries in my InstallShield project.
FWIW: I spent a week in InstallShield class a couple of years ago: there were 14 "fulltime installation specialists" and 1 "developer trying to use InstallShield as a sideline" (that would be me). I learned 3 things: 1) a LOT of finicky details about the MSI installer, 2) how to make my particular project work better than the really crude thing it was before (I advanced from "really crude" to "moderately crude"), and 3) you need the time to be a "fulltime installation specialist" to really use all the cool InstallShield and MSI features smoothly and reliably.
After that week, I concluded the SQLA merge module developers were smarter than I am. And my installs have been going well ever since, although regrettably without the really nice advantages of the SQLA Merge Module.
answered 26 Mar '10, 19:50