I am using SQL Anywhere 12.0.1 with VS 2013, the SA ADO.Net driver from the SA 188.8.131.5234 client and the Entity Framework 5 Entity Data Model Wizard... I am trying to create a DB first model using the wizard. After selecting the connection to the SA database and then selecting EF 5 (Don't have an EF6 compatible driver yet), the wizard briefly displays "Retrieving database information, please wait..." then I get the error message:
Can anyone help?
Edit: it's the SA 184.108.40.20634 client driver not 12.0.1
Edit 2: Nvm, it is the 220.127.116.1134 client driver
Visual Studio 2013 comes pre-installed with Entity Framework 6 (EF6) so the version of the Entity Data Model (EDM) wizard that you are using will be Entity Framework Tools 6.x (EFTools) and you are targeting Entity Framework 5 (EF5) with your project in the EF6 wizard. I assume you have done the following in NuGet to force the EF5 version installation in Visual Studio 2013:
The EDM resources that EFTools 6.x are referring to above are the EF6 Provider mappings - these do not exist in EF5:
So the problem here is that EFTools 6.x seems to be checking for EF6 mappings in what is supposedly an EF5 provider even in this compatibility mode. If you were using Visual Studio 2012 with just EF5 installed (i.e. without the EF6 installation from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40762 ), this same operation is okay as it doesn't check for that mapping. So the error is in EFTools. (I can reproduce this same error with EFTools 6.1.3 in Visual Studio 2013 and I have confirmed this operation is okay in VS 2012).
For your current situation, I would recommend downloading a later 12.0.1 SQL Anywhere SP that includes EF6 support and use our EF6 provider, as per: http://sqlanywhere-forum.sap.com/questions/22161/entity-framework-6-provider
Once the EF6 provider is installed, you can either use EF5 or EF6 in the EFTools 6.x tooling.
I have opened CR #784321 to see if we can address this point of using the EF5 compatibility mode in an EF6 tooling situation.
As there is no other answer so far, and since there have been some fixes for SA 12.0.1 and VS 2012/2013 lately, I'd suggest to try the newest EBF.
For a list of potential fixes, cf. that public link:
SA 18.104.22.16824 EBF Readme, particularly the section on the ADO.Net Managed Provider.
Note: I don't know whether that will solve your problem, it's just a recommendation.