I'm getting a strange error that has just started to occur. The only indication is on the client and it just gives me a 'Protocol Error' message. I have looked at the log on the server and there is no indication of an error. The error on the client happens part way through the download stream and from what I can tell at a certain table.
I have multiple users synchronizing the sames publication/script with no errors, but the error seems to be propagating to more users. The users have been syncing fine before, so I'm at a loss on what is happening. Neither the client nor server have been upgraded.
This is all I get from the client log when the error occurs, nothing from the server. The server reports a successful sync.
asked 11 Dec '14, 11:00
I can't see anything in the verbose log that helps me sort out what the issue is.
My instinct is that the problem is related to the actual data that is being downloaded. For the remotes that are failing, if you add -v+ to the dbmlsync log, are they all failing with a protocol error when downloading the pda_order_notes table?
I. 2014-12-12 15:36:20. Downloading into table: pda_orders_notes E. 2014-12-12 15:36:20. Protocol error I. 2014-12-12 15:36:20. Download stream processing failed I. 2014-12-12 15:36:20. ROLLBACK
If it's always the same table, I'd consider adding some extra verbosity to the MobiLink Server (-v+) to see the data that is being downloaded to the remotes that are failing, and trying to see if there is a pattern to the specific rows that are being downloaded in this table for remotes that are failing versus remotes that successfully synchronize.
answered 15 Dec '14, 15:43
The "protocol error" message means that one side (in this case dbmlsync) doesn't understand what the other side (the MobiLink server) sent it over the network.
Some possible causes:
If different remotes get different data, an experiment would be to change a working remote (or copy of a working one) to get the same data as one of the failing ones, or vice versa. That would test #2.
Update: If the problem occurs after a failed download, it could be issue 650719 (the build number below refers to 11.0.1, and is newer than your version):
================(Build #2546 - Engineering Case #650719)================
I have everything working now. We use a table to store deletes in and the protocol error was coming from the download delete operation. I found a row that seemed to be the culprit and deleted it. After doing that the remotes synced successfully, so that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
I'm used to having good error messages from Mobilink, so this one just threw me for a loop.
Another note is that the apparent offending row was not in the table that immediately preceded the error. I started removing tables from the publication and the error would just happen after the next table in line.
Thanks for everybody's help!